Want something with a local element for your class to explore from home?
‘Bristol Loves Tides is a programme for schools, families and communities that explores water flows, tides and systems; over, under and around Bristol. It aims for deeper awareness of the interconnectedness of ecology, biodiversity, energy, and the role of wilder green spaces in and around the city.’
Each of the resources use adventure movies (see example below) to spark interest in tidal themes, followed by a set of questions for kids to consider. And there’s some poetry thrown into the mix!
‘The target audience is 8 to 12 year-olds and their families, in school or at home where discussion, exploration, conjecture, questioning and play are encouraged.’
‘Bristol Loves Tides’ explores these themes
- Maritime history, cultural heritage and the future of Bristol’s shipbuilding industry
- Debates about the future of tidal landscapes
- Tidal Energy
- The water cycle and our changing relationship with water
- Hydro-poetics. Literature, painting, dance and sculpture related to water
- Creative writing
- Awareness and empathy with natural processes